LGBT Initiative from Prime Minister Erdoğan!
Monday, May 28, 2012
By: Kaos GL
In 2002, in a TV show called “Genç Bakış” which hosts participants from university campuses and is prepared by journalist Abbas Güçlü, Ahmet Altın Işık (a student) asked the following question to Recep Tayyip Erdoğan:
“As you know, in Turkey, we have homosexual citizens. Do you think of recognizing their rights like in same sex marriages as it is in Europe? What is your personal opinion? Should they be recognized or not?”
Recep Tayyip Erdoğan answered:
"It is necessary that LGBTs are recognized before the law in the light of their rights and freedoms. We do not find it humane that they go through certain treatments from time to time on TV."
Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bp6grWsIJA&feature=player_embedded
Kaos GL’s note:
In the process of rewriting the Constitution, there is an ongoing consultation among the ruling and opposition parties in the Parliament. Peace and Democracy Party (BDP) and the Republican People’s Party (CHP) had a proposal for the recognition of “sexual orientation” and “gender identity” in the Equality Article of the Constitution and this has been declared and demanded by the LGBT movement for a long time. However, both the Justice and Development Party (AKP) and Nationalist Action Party (MHP) rejected the proposal. Thus, it means that AKP and MHP are against the legal protection of LGBTs’ right to life.
- Lets Remind the Turkish PM about LGBT Rights on IDAHO Day!16 Mayıs 2013
- LGBT Refugee Workshop Held in Ankara14 Mayıs 2013
- The Regional Network Releases Its First Memorandum!14 Mayıs 2013
- The Regional Network to Declare Its First Annual Memorandum!10 Mayıs 2013
- Turkey: Revoking Same-Sex Adoptions07 Mayıs 2013
- Rainbow Bus against Homophobia from Istanbul to Ankara!06 Mayıs 2013
- We Are Meeting Against Homophobia on May 17th!03 Mayıs 2013
- Albanian Prime Minister Berisha meets LGBT activists25 Nisan 2013
- Montenegro to Improve Transgender Rights18 Nisan 2013
- Anti-Homophobia Meeting to Talk About Peace17 Nisan 2013