LGBT Initiative from Prime Minister Erdoğan!
Monday, May 28, 2012
By: Kaos GL
In 2002, in a TV show called “Genç Bakış” which hosts participants from university campuses and is prepared by journalist Abbas Güçlü, Ahmet Altın Işık (a student) asked the following question to Recep Tayyip Erdoğan:
“As you know, in Turkey, we have homosexual citizens. Do you think of recognizing their rights like in same sex marriages as it is in Europe? What is your personal opinion? Should they be recognized or not?”
Recep Tayyip Erdoğan answered:
"It is necessary that LGBTs are recognized before the law in the light of their rights and freedoms. We do not find it humane that they go through certain treatments from time to time on TV."
Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bp6grWsIJA&feature=player_embedded
Kaos GL’s note:
In the process of rewriting the Constitution, there is an ongoing consultation among the ruling and opposition parties in the Parliament. Peace and Democracy Party (BDP) and the Republican People’s Party (CHP) had a proposal for the recognition of “sexual orientation” and “gender identity” in the Equality Article of the Constitution and this has been declared and demanded by the LGBT movement for a long time. However, both the Justice and Development Party (AKP) and Nationalist Action Party (MHP) rejected the proposal. Thus, it means that AKP and MHP are against the legal protection of LGBTs’ right to life.
- LGBT Peoples Demand for Constitutional Equality is a Fundamental Human Rights Issue06 Aralık 2013
- Program of Symposium Against Discrimination Announced05 Aralık 2013
- Two LGBT organizations of the Southern Caucasus met in Tbilisi28 Kasım 2013
- DJ Murat Renay to Play in Copenhagen27 Kasım 2013
- Slaughter of Trans People Goes on Unabated As Turkey Debates Hate Crimes26 Kasım 2013
- Homophobic Hate Killing in Hatay, Turkey26 Kasım 2013
- PM Erdoğan is No Queer!25 Kasım 2013
- Say No to Heterosexist Social Work!22 Kasım 2013
- Republican Peoples Party (CHP) Support to LGBTs for the Local Elections22 Kasım 2013
- Kaos GL Met Teachers in Southeastern City of Urfa21 Kasım 2013