Athens Pride is this Sunday!
Wednesday, June 06, 2012
By: Kaos GL
Athens Pride 2012 will take place in June 9 at Klafthmonos Square. Athens Pride started as as small grassroots initiative gathering a few hundred activists in 2005 and quickly grew to become one of the most popular and most significant all day events of the city. With a parade attracting over 12,000 people in 2011, it is the largest pride event in SE Europe. Regardless of this growth and success, Athens Pride retains its grassroots, all volunteer, non-profit character.
Andrea Gilbert, InterPride Region 15 Director from Athens Pride Organizing Committee, spoke to kaosgl.org about the Pride in 2012: “In the 8 years that Athens Pride has existed, we have seen the numbers grow from a very reluctant 500 to 12,000 last year. This is amazing for us. It took years for people to want to come out in the daylight. Even now, youd be surprised how many LGBTs dont want to participate because they dont want to be "characterized".”
“We now have over a hundred young volunteers, and more keep offering each hour. Many of these kids have never even been to Athens Pride before! Athens Pride has changed the lives of so many young people. It has given so many people, young and not-so-young, the courage to come out to friends and family - to feel comfortable about their sexuality. When we read the posts and blogs the next day, and when we see all the happy faces, it makes all our hard volunteer work worth every moment of anxiety and exhaustion. Its an amazing feeling for us and for everyone involved!”
Athens Pride is unlike any other in many ways. For the past 3 years an auction named "Artists for Athens Pride" has provided most of the funding for Athens Pride, enabling it to produce free public cultural and political events that are enjoyed by thousands. This extraordinary display of sensitivity and conscience on the part of artists in Greece and abroad has made Athens Pride unique, as the only Pride in the world to be primarily supported by the visual arts community! Join the event and help make history with the largest LGBT Pride event in SE Europe!
- Program of Symposium Against Discrimination Announced05 Aralık 2013
- Two LGBT organizations of the Southern Caucasus met in Tbilisi28 Kasım 2013
- DJ Murat Renay to Play in Copenhagen27 Kasım 2013
- Slaughter of Trans People Goes on Unabated As Turkey Debates Hate Crimes26 Kasım 2013
- Homophobic Hate Killing in Hatay, Turkey26 Kasım 2013
- PM Erdoğan is No Queer!25 Kasım 2013
- Say No to Heterosexist Social Work!22 Kasım 2013
- Republican Peoples Party (CHP) Support to LGBTs for the Local Elections22 Kasım 2013
- Kaos GL Met Teachers in Southeastern City of Urfa21 Kasım 2013
- Rainbow Barricades of Eastern Europe to Meet in Stockholm13 Kasım 2013