Millions Attend Sao Paulos Pride March
Tuesday, June 12, 2012
On Sunday June 10th, the Brazilian city of Sao Paulo held the 16th edition of its LGBT pride parade with an attendance over 3 million people, making the biggest event of its kind in the world.
This year’s main slogan was: “Homophobia has a cure: Education and Criminalization!”, in reference to the constant attacks still suffered by the queer community in the South American country.
The parade’s main gathering point was the famed “Avenida Paulista”, which is considered to be the economic heart of the country and one of the most important financial centers in the world.
The city’s municipality joined the efforts by distributing over 700.000 prophylactics among participants, as part of a countrywide campaign to prevent STDs among the LGBT community. In addition, over 2100 militarized policemen provided security and protection to the attendees due to previous attempts by neo-Nazi groups to disturb the event.
Also, organizers and activists took the opportunity in order to demand recognition of same-sex marriages at the country’s legislative level. Early this year, the Brazilian Supreme Court approved overwhelmingly civil unions for same-sex couples but felt short to grant the right to marry.
- Inbetween the ancient religious practices, long Socialist politics and today: Mongolian LGBTs29 Ağustos 2012
- 2nd edition of Prague Pride held successfully29 Ağustos 2012
- Interview with Anodis Organization in Mexico03 Ağustos 2012
- Lesbian group in Mexico speaks to Kaos GL03 Ağustos 2012
- Italian footballer gets fined after anti-gay slur23 Temmuz 2012
- Pro-LGBT Obama video speech for Legalize Love campaign23 Temmuz 2012
- Gay marriage gone wrong19 Temmuz 2012
- 2nd International Intersex Forum announced18 Temmuz 2012
- Iraqi LGBTs can seek asylum in the Netherlands17 Temmuz 2012
- Petition launched to address Turkish honor killings16 Temmuz 2012