Rainbow Flag Burned in Public in Montenegro
Tuesday, June 19, 2012
By: Nevin Öztop
The rainbow flag which was set on the mast of the building in which the headquarters of the Protector of the Human Rights and Freedoms are situated was set on fire by unknown perpetrators.
The rainbow flag which represents the official and universal mark of the LGBT community and of all of the LGBT movements in the world, which was set on the mast of the building in which the headquarters of the Protector of the Human Rights and Freedoms are situated, was set on fire by, at this moment, unknown perpetrators.
Last week, during the official reception of the executive director of the LGBT Forum Progress, Zdravko Cimbaljevic at the offices Ombudsman Sucko Bakovic and his deputy Marijana Lakovic, an initiative of the LGBT Forum Progress was accepted, that “the rainbow flag would be put on the official building so it would represent a way of support of this institution to the celebrating of the Pride Month”.
Setting the flag on fire represents another manifestation of hatred and intolerance towards the LGBT persons and community. This act is additionally worrying, from the aspect of overall security, considering the fact that the setting of the flag has been publicly announced and executed as a part of the beginning of the preparation for the holding of the first Pride Parade.
LGBT Forum Progress demands that the Police Directorate identifies and persecutes the persons responsible for this inappropriate act.
Identifying of the perpetrators will confirm the existing of the professional will and the real image of the capacities of the Montenegrin police.
The attitude of the state towards this incident is the indicator of the overall relations and of the treatment of the LGBT community in Montenegro.
LGBT Forum Progres
LGBT Forum Progres
- Second Pink Report by Bosnia and Herzegovina Released14 Mayıs 2013
- May 17 IDAHO celebrations in the region announced11 Mayıs 2013
- LGBTs in Russia March on Labor Day: Solidarity is Stronger Than Repression!02 Mayıs 2013
- 31 PACE Parliamentarians Say "Stop!" to "Undue Provocation" in Turkish Law30 Nisan 2013
- Egyptian Comedian Youssef Accused of "Promoting Homosexuality"29 Nisan 2013
- Mayor Shakhtoura: Responsible for Sexual and Racial Violations in Lebanon29 Nisan 2013
- Lebanese Mayor Cracks Down on Gay Men in His Town Dekwaneh26 Nisan 2013
- Feminism and Sexual Diversity panels at the World Social Forum02 Nisan 2013
- A fair share of the revolution, please02 Nisan 2013
- Streeets of Tunis Welcome the World Social Forum27 Mart 2013