LGBT community makes history with the Festival of Diversity in Albania
Friday, June 22, 2012
By: Kaos GL
Organized by PINK Embassy/LGBT Pro Albania, with the participation of public institutions, those for the protection of human rights, civil society organizations and diplomatic missions in the country, the “Festival of diversity” broke taboos on the LGBT community and their arrangement in outdoor venues.
The activities of the day started early in the morning with the press conference, continuing with speeches by various governmental officials and ambassadors, an exhibition and movie screening. In front of journalists spoke Mr. Altin Hazizaj, First Ambassador of PINK, Mrs. Filloreta Kodra, Vice Minister of Labor, Social Affairs and Equal Opportunities and Mr. Henk van den Dool, Ambassador of the Netherlands in Albania.
The Festival opened officially at 10:00 by the “Vёllezёrit Frashёri” square. But, before the opening of the festival, an unpredicted mini-parade happened when representatives of PINK Embassy, the Albanian government, the Dutch Embassy, the Ombudsman and dozens of citizens walked along the “Dёshmorёt e Kombit” boulevard towards the “Vёllezёrit Frashёri” square, to join friends and colleagues who were waiting there.
Decorated with the rainbow flags the square had a big group of civil society organizations and institutions such as the Ministry of Labor, the Ombudsman and the Commissioner for Protection against Discrimination together with many people, young students and people from the LGBTQ community.
Mr. Altin Hazizaj, First Ambassador of PINK Embassy, publicly thanked all those individuals from the media, politics, academia, and civil society who have managed, through their work and activities, to contribute in the advancement of the LGBTQ cause in large forums, therefore going against stereotypes and discrimination. Special thanks were given to all organizations which accepted the invitation to join the activities.
- LGBT Peoples Demand for Constitutional Equality is a Fundamental Human Rights Issue06 Aralık 2013
- Program of Symposium Against Discrimination Announced05 Aralık 2013
- Two LGBT organizations of the Southern Caucasus met in Tbilisi28 Kasım 2013
- DJ Murat Renay to Play in Copenhagen27 Kasım 2013
- Slaughter of Trans People Goes on Unabated As Turkey Debates Hate Crimes26 Kasım 2013
- Homophobic Hate Killing in Hatay, Turkey26 Kasım 2013
- PM Erdoğan is No Queer!25 Kasım 2013
- Say No to Heterosexist Social Work!22 Kasım 2013
- Republican Peoples Party (CHP) Support to LGBTs for the Local Elections22 Kasım 2013
- Kaos GL Met Teachers in Southeastern City of Urfa21 Kasım 2013