LGBT community makes history with the Festival of Diversity in Albania
Friday, June 22, 2012
By: Kaos GL
Organized by PINK Embassy/LGBT Pro Albania, with the participation of public institutions, those for the protection of human rights, civil society organizations and diplomatic missions in the country, the “Festival of diversity” broke taboos on the LGBT community and their arrangement in outdoor venues.
The activities of the day started early in the morning with the press conference, continuing with speeches by various governmental officials and ambassadors, an exhibition and movie screening. In front of journalists spoke Mr. Altin Hazizaj, First Ambassador of PINK, Mrs. Filloreta Kodra, Vice Minister of Labor, Social Affairs and Equal Opportunities and Mr. Henk van den Dool, Ambassador of the Netherlands in Albania.
The Festival opened officially at 10:00 by the “Vёllezёrit Frashёri” square. But, before the opening of the festival, an unpredicted mini-parade happened when representatives of PINK Embassy, the Albanian government, the Dutch Embassy, the Ombudsman and dozens of citizens walked along the “Dёshmorёt e Kombit” boulevard towards the “Vёllezёrit Frashёri” square, to join friends and colleagues who were waiting there.
Decorated with the rainbow flags the square had a big group of civil society organizations and institutions such as the Ministry of Labor, the Ombudsman and the Commissioner for Protection against Discrimination together with many people, young students and people from the LGBTQ community.
Mr. Altin Hazizaj, First Ambassador of PINK Embassy, publicly thanked all those individuals from the media, politics, academia, and civil society who have managed, through their work and activities, to contribute in the advancement of the LGBTQ cause in large forums, therefore going against stereotypes and discrimination. Special thanks were given to all organizations which accepted the invitation to join the activities.
- Intellectuals Call on the Turkish Government to Stop Police Violence18 Haziran 2013
- Claudia Roth Meets the Chapullers in Ankara18 Haziran 2013
- Kaos GL is at LGBT Youth and Social Inclusion Conference13 Haziran 2013
- Athens Pride 2013 said Occup Fear11 Haziran 2013
- Marriage For All: France restoring its prestige abroad05 Haziran 2013
- Free Spirits, Free Bodies: 2nd Thessaloniki Pride is in June04 Haziran 2013
- Lets Remind the Turkish PM about LGBT Rights on IDAHO Day!16 Mayıs 2013
- LGBT Refugee Workshop Held in Ankara14 Mayıs 2013
- The Regional Network Releases Its First Memorandum!14 Mayıs 2013
- The Regional Network to Declare Its First Annual Memorandum!10 Mayıs 2013