Interview with Anodis Organization in Mexico
Friday, August 03, 2012
Anodis, one of the leading LGBT organizations in Mexico, spoke to kaosgl.org on the current climate of national politics and how the LGBT community might be located in the local agenda of the country.
Your site includes information and news not only from South America but much beyond, from Iraq to the Netherlands, from the US to Spain… What is the scale of your reach out and work fields?
Our agency reproduces news from other sites that reports from different places. It is always important to know what is happening in other latitudes. The most important ones come from Mexico but without forgetting that we are inserted into a global system that must be seen and referenced constantly.
What are the main struggles of the Mexican LGBTs? What is the general agenda?
Pretty much the same in everywhere… Homophobia, lack in the laws -federal, municipal and local laws- and lack in the knowledge about LGBT issues. We need have a stronger influence in the executive and keep modifying laws via the legislative power. Unfortunately, there is not a cohesive movement and therefore there is not a proper LGBT agenda.
Can you tell us about the kinds of LGBT movements in the country? Does the social, cultural, ethnic and political diversity in the country gets reflected on the LGBT movement itself?
As I mentioned, there is not a cohesive LGBT movement in Mexico but rather local leaderships and national figures in the historic and activist realms, but we do not have interaction with other social movement in most cases.
There is a survey on your site on the elections. What do you expect from the election of Pena Nieto over the former President Felipe Calderon? Anything we shall expect for the LGBTs in Mexico?
The project of Pena Nieto is the most inclusive of all the presented ones by other candidates and we will share with him the responsibility to keep advancing our causes rather than backtrack in what has already been accomplished. Without doubt, we are confident that we will achieve more for the community with Pena Nieto than with the right wing politics of Felipe Calderon.
(Editor: Nevin Öztop)
- Inbetween the ancient religious practices, long Socialist politics and today: Mongolian LGBTs29 Ağustos 2012
- 2nd edition of Prague Pride held successfully29 Ağustos 2012
- Lesbian group in Mexico speaks to Kaos GL03 Ağustos 2012
- Italian footballer gets fined after anti-gay slur23 Temmuz 2012
- Pro-LGBT Obama video speech for Legalize Love campaign23 Temmuz 2012
- Gay marriage gone wrong19 Temmuz 2012
- 2nd International Intersex Forum announced18 Temmuz 2012
- Iraqi LGBTs can seek asylum in the Netherlands17 Temmuz 2012
- Petition launched to address Turkish honor killings16 Temmuz 2012